Dark or faded lips make us conscious as they are quite an embarrassment, aren’t they? Some of us even try to cover our mouths while talking to someone. Pink, soft and lighter lips are all that we wish and desire.
It’s not just about the confidence that they give us, it’s also about the relief of having healthy, fuller lips. We often hunt for the best ways and perfect remedies to lighten dark lips. But it should be a harmless concern as it’s not anything serious. Here are some quick fixes, both natural and medical treatments on how to lighten your dark lips permanently.
How To Lighten Your Dark Lips Permanently?
There are many cosmetic products out there that can help you cover the discoloration of your lips. But in the long run, they might not be the solution you are looking for to lighten dark lips as they are not always safe.
Especially when you use those products excessively. Better be safe than sorry, right? It is always better to be on the safe side when it comes to treating your lips right as they are too delicate and needs total care. Besides, they are just temporary solutions.
In this article, you’ll find tips on how to lighten your dark lips naturally without having to open your wallet and buy expensive products. Natural remedies are always the best solution even in the long run. They might take some time, like any other natural remedy. But with time they can help you lighten dark lips permanently. There’s nothing time cannot heal.
Our lips are fragile and delicate and are made of a soft tissue membrane, unlike the rest of the skin on our body parts. They need a lot of protection and care from harmful UV rays which will result in hyperpigmentation.
How Do Lips Start Getting Darker?
Now let’s see why and how lips start getting darker or lose their natural color. One of the main causes of dark lips is hyper-pigmentation. It is a medical term used for dark patches on the skin which are the result of excess production of melanin [pigment in our body accountable for the color of our skin] that can even be caused by hormone fluctuations.
Other Causes Of Dark Lips Include
- Excessive exposure to the sun
- Vitamin deficiencies
- Low blood circulation
- Hormonal imbalance
- The buildup of dry skin
- Lip sucking
- Cigarette smoking
- Allergic reaction to toothpaste, lipstick, etc.
- Chemotherapy or radiation
- Excessive coffee intake
- Constant biting or licking of lips
- Usage of expired products
Now you know what are the causes of dark lips and might be familiar with many of them. Excess caffeine darkens your lips is a myth you were made to believe. Shocking, I know.
If you are someone with any of the aforementioned causes, stop worrying right now. You don’t have to go anywhere to find your picture-perfect solution. We have coined everything you need to know and try to get your desired result. These remedies on how to lighten dark lips permanently will certainly help you better. Let’s dive right in.
Tips On How To Lighten Dark Lips
Your constant search for how to lighten dark lips has come to an end here. Your lips won’t bring you any more insecurities. The best ways to lighten dark lips are staying hydrated, keeping moisturizing, exfoliating regularly, increasing blood circulation with massaging, a balanced diet, and protecting from harmful UV rays.
Staying hydrated works wonders! Water has the multi-power of healing just anything and everything. Keep on drinking water and you can see the changes not just on your lips, but on your entire face and body. Now, things just got easier, right? I mean, drinking water is not much of a big deal!
Keeping your lips dry will cause the thin skin on them to crack and then you will peel them off which will hurt. Intake of water can help your lips from drying out. Drink 8-10 glasses of water daily for juicy-looking lips.
Contrary to common belief, licking your lips won’t help you in any way. Saliva will simply make your lips dry and chapped, dark, and dull. If you have the habit of licking or sucking your lips, it’s time you stop it!
Keep Your Lips Moisturized
The more you moisturize and pamper your lips, the better! Try using lip balms of good quality and those which contain shea butter, cocoa butter, and almond oil, or lip balms made from natural ingredients. You can even make homemade lip balms of your choice and keep them handy. Massage your lips with Vitamin E oil or aloe vera gel which is the best tip on how to lighten dark lips.
You can moisturize using a drop or two of any of these – almond oil, coconut oil, castor oil, olive oil, mustard oil, or rose water [which are known to improve the health and appearance of skin] – every night before you go off to bed and keep them overnight. You can use natural lighteners like honey and lemon to lighten and moisturize at the same time. These will help you lighten your dark lips(1).
- Cucumber – Juice half a cucumber and cool it in the refrigerator. Once the juice is cool, use a ball of cotton to dip and apply to your lips. Leave it on for 30 minutes or so, then rinse with cold water.
- Strawberry – Crush five medium-sized strawberries and mix them with 2 teaspoons of baking soda to make a paste. Apply before sleeping and rinse off with cold water in the morning.
- Almond – Blend 1 tablespoon of dairy cream and enough almond powder to make a paste, and massage your lips with the paste. Let it dry for five minutes and rinse off with lukewarm water.
- Beetroot – Grind beetroot into a fine paste and apply to your lips twice a week for 5 to 10 minutes, then rinse off.
- Rose petals – Crush a few rose petals and add 1 teaspoon of honey or milk powder. Make a paste and apply for 10 to 15 minutes. Wipe off with damp cotton and apply your lip balm.
- Ice cubes – Massage your lips with ice cubes for five minutes, twice or thrice a day to increase blood circulation. This will make your lips plump and red.
Exfoliate Your Lips Regularly
Exfoliating your lips will help you get rid of dark, dead skin and make them soft, light, and moisturized(2). It will lighten dark lips by restoring your natural rosy, plump lips.
- Turns dark or discolored lips lighter and brighter over time.
- Diminishes blemishes or dark spots.
- Marshes dry or dead skin cells to reveal the lighter and softer layer underneath it.
- Improves the texture of the lips.
- Restores the natural moisture.
- Keeps your lips healthy.
Sugar Scrub To Lighten Dark Lips
Using brown sugar will be a better option as they are much gentler than white sugar. Glycolic acid present in it conditions the skin. It is also rich in antioxidants.
You can mix sugar with either honey or coconut oil or olive oil. Honey attracts moisture. It keeps the exfoliated lips hydrated and healthy and lightens the skin tone. Take 1 tablespoon of sugar and mix with 1 tablespoon of honey. Apply the scrub over your lips and massage for a minute. Repeat 2 or 3 times a week. Try not to lick them off at the end even if it is a tempting treat as that will dry your lips.
Bet you didn’t expect that! Oh yes, this is an extremely simple yet effective way to exfoliate your lips. All you need is to apply some olive oil on your lips and use a soft toothbrush to run over your lips in gentle circular motions. Do this for 3 to 4 minutes. Then rinse off with some warm water and apply some moisturizer. You’re good to glow!
Pomegranate Seeds To Lighten Dark Lips
Pomegranate helps in lightening pigmented lips. Mix ground pomegranate seeds with some milk cream. Gently apply this on your lips in a circular motion and allow it to dry for 15 minutes. Rinse off with cold water.
Baking Soda Scrub
Yes, baking soda does the magic! Exfoliate and lightens lips to be exact. Take 1 or 2 teaspoons of baking soda and add a little amount of water to make a paste. Gently massage your lips with them to remove dead cells.
Turmeric To Lighten Dark Lips
The curcumin in turmeric helps in lightening your lips. Take 1 or 2 teaspoons of turmeric powder, and mix it with a few drops of water to make a thick paste. Apply it onto your lips and allow it to dry. Rinse with water. You can do this once daily to lighten your dark upper lips.
Apply freshly squeezed lemon juice and sugar to your lips and give them a good massage in a circular motion. It is better to do it at night before bed. Lemon is a bleaching agent and will you help you lighten dark lips permanently.
Keep in mind to always be gentle with your lips while scrubbing. Too much exfoliation might damage your lips and irritate you. We don’t want that, do we? Exfoliate no more than once a week. Do not forget to moisturize after you are done!
Dark Lips Treatment By Dermatologist
Now that you may know that high levels of melanin pigment are the reason for your darker lips. So to reduce the production of melanin, several medical treatments and creams are available today. If these treatments are done carelessly, it can create serious consequences. Hence, one must choose a qualified and experienced dermatologist for such dark lip treatments. Here are a few dark lip treatments recommended by dermatologists:
- Laser Treatment: It is a commonly chosen treatment to get rid of permanent dark lips. Q-switched laser is a popular treatment for lip skin lightening. Many people prefer Spectra Gold laser for lip lightening as it’s safe. It will reduce the pigmentation effectively within a few sessions.
- Topical Creams: Topical creams aim at reducing the melanin pigment as it is a depigmenting cream. Retinoic acid creams are also under this category. It acts as a skin-lightening agent.
- Chemical Peels: Chemical peels containing arginine and lactic acid are responsible for peeling the pigmented skin leaving out the soft and subtle interior skin. It also removes dead skin cells giving your lips a fresh and hydrated look, and improving the texture and color of the skin. If these chemical peels contain glycolic acid, they must be used cautiously as its highly reactive on sensitive skin.
- Dermal Fillers: Dermal fillers also known as lip fillers, that make your lips plump and hydrated. It is an FDA-approved medical treatment for making the tissues softer for a smoother appearance.
- Permanent Makeup: This process also known as lip tattooing deals with coloring lips with the use of specialized ink. The ink is injected slowly into the granules of the upper layers of the skin. This can only be done after anesthetic application in that particular area. Even though these are called permanent, touch-up sessions are needed to maintain the achieved results. It is the quickest fix for darker lips.
- Medi Facials: Medi facials are customized facials that include lip lightening procedures such as Oxyjet and Hydradermabrasion that exfoliates your lips. Such medical treatments are safe as well.
A Balanced Diet Is Your Answer To Everything!
What you take inside plays a vital role in what you see outside. And in turn, what you consume alters your lip color. So, it’s essential to clear your diet to lighten dark lips. Eat a lot of fresh and healthy fruits and vegetables that are rich in nutrition.
Balance your diet to be vitamin-rich as vitamins like Vitamin C naturally moisturizes and help in reducing pigmentation. Eat healthily, and stay healthy!
Solid Protection From UV Rays
Excessive exposure to the sun will make your lips dark and dull. Use good quality lip balms with SPF(3) of 40 or more when you are out. Your lips need total protection from those harmful UVA & UVB rays to not be dry, cracked, or sore. Exposing your lips to sunlight with no SPF protection will make them pigmented. You want to avoid exactly that to lighten dark lips!
All you need to focus on is how to lighten dark lips is preventing your lips from drying out. Mere external application of moisture is never enough, internal hydration is significant as well. Make sure that you use lipsticks of good quality and brand and do not sleep without removing them.
Remove your lipstick before bed. Always. You should avoid using expired products, throw them away now!
Make a mental note of being gentle with your lips. As these are natural remedies be patient and consistent in trying these to lighten dark lips. Rinse and repeat until you see that noticeable result you desire. I hope you found the right answer from us.