Itching is a menace, especially in the privy parts. When you are in a lecture or a meeting, how often can you give a chance to scratch on the pretext of correcting your skirt? so the question is how to relieve itchy pubic hair? It is an embarrassing situation and how often can you hide your limbs under the desk or go to the washroom for that scratch which feels like pure bliss after the long wait?
The purpose of pubic hair is to prevent dirt or pathogens from entering the genitals and to reduce friction while having sex. Pubic hair remains unless you are waxing or shaving daily. Hair grows fast and irritation comes up. We might have gone through it at some phase in our life, despite all the care and hygiene practices we adopt. You do not have to rush to the doctor immediately. There is nothing to be worried about, as we can address the question of how to relieve itchy pubic hair, straight on. Before we do that, let’s check out the reasons.
How To Relieve Itchy Pubic Hair? Causes Of Itchy Pubic Hair
If you have recently shaved your pubic area, razor burn may be the culprit behind your itching. Razor burns appear as red rashes, often with tiny bumps that can feel raw or tender. You can get razor burn if you shave too fast or too often, or use an old or clogged razor, or if you do not use enough shaving cream or soap to act as a lube.
How to relieve itchy pubic hair if you have intertrigo? Intertrigo is a skin condition that causes a red rash to appear in moist areas of the body, such as the skin folds, the armpits, and the area near the groin. They may initially develop from dermatitis. The moisture and heat near the groin may cause an overgrowth of bacteria and fungi. The rash may be dark, itchy, and have a foul smell.
Sexually Transmitted Infections
Sexually Transmitted Infections like Chlamydia, HPV, genital herpes, and trichomoniasis also are reasons for itchy pubic areas.
Contact dermatitis(1) is the medical term for skin inflammation caused when something touches the skin that irritates it or causes an allergic reaction. It must be noted that the allergen may be completely innocuous to another different person. Dermatitis may present other symptoms such as hives, flaky skin, or an itchy red rash. Several factors lead to contact dermatitis in the groin leading to itchy pubic hair which includes:
- Chemicals in soap, lotion, or other skin care products one uses
- Detergents, dyes, or fabric softeners in the underwear
- Sanitary pads
- Vaginal deodorants and other perfumes or fragrances that one may use near the vagina
- Sexual lubricants
- Latex in condoms(2)
How To Relieve Itchy Pubic Hair If You Have Jock Itch
Jock itch is a fungal infection, which is also known as tinea cruris, that can cause itching in the pubic area. This is quite common and occurs most often in damp, warm places like the groins. The area becomes inflamed and irritated.
People with psoriasis may develop plaques in their groin and upper thighs. The National Psoriasis Foundation points out that around 33–66% of people with psoriasis experience genital psoriasis at some point. Some experience their first plaque in the groin but this is not the case always, as it can present itself first anywhere. This can cause itchiness and red, scaly skin in the area.
Pubic lice are tiny insects that feed off human blood while holding on to the pubic hair for support. They are also called crabs. Anyone can get infected. Pubic lice spread through sexual contact and other means as they can live up to 24 hours away from a human host.
One may find very small bugs in their pubic hair or tiny oval eggs at the bottom part of the hair. Both the insects and the eggs may be very hard to see. These are known to cause a reaction in the skin, leading to persistent itching, making one wonder how to relieve itchy pubic hair. The person may also experience irritation and even fatigue.
The pulling motion with a blunt razor can have problematic effects as it can twist the hair follicle. This twisting of the hair can cause ingrown hairs. Pubic hair is thicker and coarser than the hair on the other parts of your body, making it vulnerable to itchiness when it begins to grow back. also, it may lead to vaginal itching in women.
Eczema(3) is a skin problem that causes dryness, itching, and sensitive skin in different parts of the body, including the groin.
Candidiasis/ Yeast Infections
Yeast infections occur when there is an overgrowth of Candida, which is a naturally occurring fungus, on the skin. Yeast infections are very common. Most women folk will develop a vaginal yeast infection at some point in their lives. Mild yeast infections can be treated from home itself. Yeast infections commonly cause itching in the groin, thick, white vaginal discharge, soreness, burning, swelling, painful sex, and pain while urinating.
Folliculitis causes red and white pimples to grow around the hair follicle resulting in that prickly feeling after shaving. This is caused by bacteria, hence you have to be careful enough to use a clean razor. Mild cases of folliculitis should clear on their own within a few days.
Skin cancer on the penis or the vulva can lead to thick, red patches of skin that constantly itch. The skin may ooze or drain. The area may be more sensitive or prone to bleeding.
How To relieve Itchy Pubic Hair- Home Remedies
Use Natural products
Natural oils like coconut oil and almond oil can hydrate sensitive areas and reduce sensations like itchiness and burning. Avoid products that contain alcohol in an attempt to stop pubic hair itching after shaving. Alcohol may act as a skin irritant on freshly exposed skin. Natural products like aloe vera gel also soothe the skin and relieve itchiness.
Avoiding vaginal deodorants that contain synthetic products also is an answer to the question-how to relieve itchy pubic hair? Vaginal deodorants tend to make the skin drier and may contain possible allergens. Vitamin E-rich oil helps to unclog pores and to prevent ingrown hairs, hence making it a go-to product to make your pubic hair less itchy after shaving.
Straight From The Cabinet
Straight from the cabinet products like petroleum jelly can be helpful. Applying Vaseline as a wonderful moisturizer on the private parts after bathing is a great idea to reduce friction and block the moisture in the skin. It can be used anytime to comfort itching as well. Refrigerated petroleum jelly (Vaseline) and cold plain yogurt put on a maxi-pad and placed next to the lady parts can be soothing if the pubic hair is itchy.
How To Relieve Itchy Pubic Hair: Combing The Pubic Hair
This may sound insane, but the pubic hair is thick and coarse because of which it has a tendency to get knotty. Combing the pubic hair can smoothen it out, thus making it less likely to be itchy.
A warm or lukewarm bath can be soothing. But make sure not to put any soap, bubble bath, or oil in the bath water. It helps to avoid itching.
A cold compress is a classic answer to the question of how to relieve itchy pubic hair fast. This super easy home remedy can be an effective way to stop pubic hair itching. You can reduce your inflammation and itching quickly by simply taking a washcloth and soaking it in cold water. Wring it away to remove any excess water and apply it to the affected area. A cold compress is an effective home remedy to soothe your pubic hair. You can reapply it till you find relief so that you don’t have to scratch your skin off.
Practicing Proper Hygiene
Cleaning the lady parts daily with mild soap and wearing clean undergarments are vital and the first steps towards solving the question of how to relieve itchy pubic hair. Trimming the hair or shaving it would be ideal. Moisturizing the shaven area regularly with a mild moisturizer will also help with the dryness of the skin. The dryness of the skin can make hair growth itchy.
Changing sanitary pads at regular intervals to avoid the trapping of moisture is also important. Letting your private parts air out at night with loose night clothes sans undergarments will help big time. Showering after each exercise session will also ensure that the sweat is not trapped, allowing bacterial growth.
How to relieve itchy pubic hair considering your outfits. Wearing tight clothing causes rubbing and friction as your skin comes into direct contact with the fabric. Tight fabrics can cause sweating and chafing as well. Freshly shaven skin becomes extra sensitive,
hence you should make sure to wear loose clothing, made out of natural and breathable fabrics. You can also go commando while going around your home or sleeping.
There may be specific allergens like aromatic soaps, condoms, sanitary pads, detergents used to clean underwear, vaginal does, etc. Try to eliminate them. You can use a menstrual cup or menstrual discs if sanitary pads are the issue. Using milder soaps will also help. There are specific cleansers for the vaginal area which can be used.
The Counter Creams
Over-the-counter creams can help control itching and allergic reactions in cases of dermatitis and eczema. Hydrocortisone is a steroid-based cream that helps stop pubic hair itching when growing back. This OTC cream can be applied as directed. You should make sure that you do not apply this solution if you have sores, bleeding, or signs of infection.
Avoiding Skin-Irritating Grooming Practices
Some choose to bleach the area as it tends to get darker fast. Bleaching can irritate the skin, making the whole area itchy. You may also get itchy pubic hair if you shave in the opposite direction of hair growth, causing ingrown hairs. Applying vaginal deodorants that are synthetic can also cause allergies and issues that make the pubic hair itchy.
How To Relieve Itchy Pubic Hair: Categorical Remedies
Apart from the remedies mentioned above, there are specific remedies categorized here to give some additional insight into the problem. Each one will need specific advice for the way they carry their jam roll will be unique. Some may shave their pubic hair, while some may wax or use hair removers.
There are still those who love it a little bushy down there. Those who have removed their pubic hair through shaving or wax or creams will have different problems than one who grows it, as there is a difference in the management systems.
How To Relieve Itchy Pubic Hair- Shaver’s Alert!
- Trimming before shaving – Reducing the length of the pubic hair with a trimmer will minimize the chances of any tugging of the hair, which is a great way to prevent itchiness caused by ingrown hairs.
- Using a sharp razor – Invest in using a good quality razor with sharp blades which in turn will minimize the friction. Sharp blades will ensure that you do not have to repeatedly scrape at your skin to let go of all the tenacious hair. Using disposable razors is great in terms of the assurance of sharpness and hygiene.
- Using a shaving cream or gel– Shaving creams and gels are a great way to soften your pubic hair. Some do use soap- but remember that gentle parts need gentle care. Stretching your skin and shaving in the direction of your hair growth will help you achieve longer-lasting hair-free skin. This process will reduce irritation and itchiness.
- Hydrate the skin- Never shave dry skin. Immerse yourself in a sensibly hot bath to provide your skin with moisture. Your pores will be opened making it easier to achieve a smooth finish.
- Post-shave care- After you are finished shaving, use a cooling gel or lotion to help soothe your skin, cool off the area, and avoid any chance of irritation. Use alcohol-free products, as alcohol tends to make this skin dry thus making it prone to irritation.
Try to keep the area dry. Change your undergarments often for that reason. Use undies made with breathable materials. While shaving can give you smooth skin, it can also irritate and dry your skin. Hence make sure to moisturize your skin daily to combat itchiness. Shaving the grain hair growth daily will also help the itchiness.
How To Relieve Itchy Pubic Hair? For The Fans Of Waxing And Hair Removal Creams
- Aloe Vera gel- Using hair removal creams can lead to irritation and sensitivity of the skin, especially if kept for a long duration of time. Using aloe vera gel immediately after the waxing or hair removal will make sure that the skin is soothed and ensure that there is a barrier to the gel that will protect the newly exposed skin from infections and friction.
- Using tight undergarments sparingly- I know how important it is to have well-fitting undies, especially while wearing jeans or leggings. But make sure that they are not super tight. Using thongs while wearing jeans will make sure that friction happens. The newly exposed pubic area will be ultra-sensitive and hence prone to contact dermatitis or micro wounds which will invite a battery of bacteria that can be the causal factor for f pubic itching.
- Moisturize- Moisturizing the pubic area helps to reduce friction as the hair starts growing.
- Exfoliating – Exfoliating the area starting a few days after the waxing session, will help unclog the pores which will make sure the area remains squeaky clean.
How To Relieve Itchy Pubic Hair? For The Fans Of Bushy- Bushy
- Trimming- If you want to go natural, it’s your call. Entirely! But you can trim it regularly to maintain proper hygiene. As the hair traps dampness leading to infections, trimming it regularly will help you relieve itchy pubic hair.
- Using clean underwear – Wearing clean dry underwear will help prevent itchy pubic hair.
- Changing sanitary pads often – If you are bushy down there, make sure you change your sanitary pads often to make sure that the area does not remain damp for long. Dampness invites infections.
- Changing underwear often: Make sure you change your underwear often especially if you get wet down there, either because you are sexually excited or you have been breaking a sweat.
How To Relieve Itchy Pubic Hair: Red Alert
In extreme cases of itchy pubic hair, instead of searching Google as to how to relieve pubic hair itching, I would suggest that you go to the doctor. A combination of Oral medication and topical application of creams may be suggested. There are antibiotics that can even help to treat severe cases of skin infections. In normal situations, we can go for home remedies instead of taking oral medication. They are mostly prescribed to kill the fungus that causes infections such as candidiasis, or intertrigo to relieve itching and other symptoms.
FAQ On How To Relieve Itchy Pubic Hair?
It can be itchy due to infections, contact dermatitis, STIs, allergens, lifestyle, products used, etc. You need to worry if there is persistent itching that cannot be managed with home remedies.
Itching will be present during the daytime but you will notice it more during the night time because of fewer distractions.
Maintaining proper hygiene, being careful about the products you use down there, avoiding allergens and irritating grooming practices, wearing loose clothing, using natural products like aloe vera gel to moisture regularly, and removing the hair the nonaggressive way like with shaving- will help.
Summing It Up From Scratch!
Hope you found the answer to the question of “how to relieve itchy pubic hair”. Vaginal itching can be prevented. The remedies depend on the intensity of the itching, its frequency, and its causes. Anything from home remedies to prescription drugs can help tackle the issue. A little care and proactive measures can solve this problem once and for all. We can put our fingernails to better use than scratching. Cheers!!!