If there is anything inevitable in the cycle of life that is aging, as we age our bodies change both physically and chemically. Anything that promises you that will completely stop aging than its a fake promise, human beings are not immortal. But what can be assured is that with a powerhouse of active ingredients, incorporated carefully into your everyday beauty regime, one can reverse or delay the signs of aging or age gracefully- like a fine wine!
When it comes to skincare there are three triads, vitamin c, retinol, and peptides. We have already discussed the benefits of peptides for the skin, and how to use them.
Here we will see how peptides for hair work. When to use it, the good and bad of peptides. One of the most common mistakes people make today is grabbing random products from the market based on the context that is sold online, maybe an ad influenced you, or some content creator you love claimed that the product worked for them. Skincare and hair care are unique so when you get something for yourself make sure you know what you are putting on your body and that it has the benefits that will work for you.
What Are Peptides For Hair?
Peptides are amino acids that are the key building block of specific proteins that are very crucial for healthy skin and hair. Peptides help in the better growth of hair with regular use. People usually confuse peptides and proteins, peptides are much smaller in size. Copper peptide is the most widely used peptide which is claimed to promote hair growth and strength.
Peptides are usually formed when a protein breaks down, peptides are messengers in the body that trigger muscle, skin, and other responses. Peptides can be found naturally in the tissues of our body. Some of the most common foods that have peptides are oats and flaxseed lentils, pickles, paneer, tofu, kombucha, etc.
What Do Collagen Peptides Do For Your Hair?
Peptides have great anti-inflammatory properties and hence are a great product to treat any kind of inflammation on the scalp. Inflammation on the scalp can affect hair growth and also cause hair fall. To understand how peptides work it’s important to understand the three phases of hair growth that is Catagen, Telogen, and Exogen ie, and the transition, resting and shedding phases.
One of the main reasons for hair loss or baldness is a condition known as Androgenetic alopecia(1) which is more common and visible in men than in women. Peptides have been used to treat this condition as they are great signal transmitters, when you apply peptide to the affected area it will boost the hair growth in the area, reduce infection, and increase protein production, copper peptides have been claimed as an excellent choice to improve the blood circulation and increase protein production. They are also said to stimulate the hair follicles to improve oxygen absorption leading to a healthy scalp and hair.
Tip: using a soft and good head massager along with peptide serum will help promote better and quicker hair growth.
Best Peptides For Hair
Not all peptides have been proven to be effective for hair, therefore look for these peptide formulations when you grab a peptide-based product for your hair.
Formulation 1: Acetyl Tetrapeptide-3
Acetyl Tetrapetide-3 is a very effective signal peptide that helps the hair by nourishing the hair follicles and hence reducing hair fall. This peptide is usually produced in our body to support cells in healing wounds by speeding up cell regeneration. When one applies this peptide tropically they stimulate laminins(a glycoprotein that is the foundation of cells) and collagen which is the key to supporting hair growth.
It strengthens the protein matrix that aids in strengthening the hair follicles. Peptide serum with Acetyl Tetrapetide-3 will not just work on hair but also works on lashes and brows. If you are someone with patchy brows then try using this formulation.
Formulation 2: Oligopeptide-2
This is one of the most powerful peptides that can penetrate deeper into the layers of the skin and promote hair density. The Oligopeptide-2 is similar to Acetyl Tetrapetide-3 as they are both cell signaling agents. Oligopeptide-2 will work on those who are facing hair loss issues due to variations in the hormones.
Both of these formulations will take up to a minimum of 90 days of consistent use to show visible results.
How To Use Peptides In Your Hair Care Routine?
Peptides work best when they are sues as leave-on serum rather than as a wash-off product. Experts recommend one invest in a good peptide serum rather than using a shampoo. The longer the peptide stays on the skin the better they are going to work.
Benefits Of Peptides For Hair
Here is why one should use peptides in hair care:
- Reduce hair loss: One of the key reasons why people suffer from hair loss is because of dihydrotestosterone (DHT)(2). peptides help in reducing and over time stopping this production hence preventing hair loss
- Increase hair density: if thin hair is your concern then peptides will be your best friend. Peptides will increase the size and strength of the hair follicles giving the hair a denser look and also aiding in better hair growth.
- Healthy scalp: Peptides when massaged into the hair will promote the blow flow to the scalp. A healthy scalp equals healthy hair.
- Healing properties: peptides are anti-inflammatory making them the best choice for those suffering from scale wounds. Peptides will help in healing your wounds faster as a result of faster cell regeneration.
- Hydration: Peptides are great humectants, when uses regularly peptides will help tame frizzy ness and dryness, making your hair smooth, hydrated, and shiny.
- Protection from environmental pollution: Peptides being a naturally occurring collagen peptide will protect your hair and scalp from external toxins and UV damage. With long-term use, they are also climbed to work on premature greying of the hair.
- Healthy hair: peptides are not only for those who suffer from hair issues. Peptides can be used by anyone. The use of peptides can prevent hair damage and overall improve the health of the hair.
Side Effects Of Peptides For Hair
One of the key reasons why hair experts love peptides for hair is because there are no specific side effects to using peptides for hair. Peptides work well on all hair types. They protect, hydrate, and moisturize the hair as well as the scalp.
Recommendations: Some of the best drugstore peptide products for hair
- The Ordinary Multi-Peptide Serum For Hair Density
- Hair Growth Actives 18%
- Dot & Key: Pea Peptide + Cysteine Hair Volumising Serum
- The Derma co. Multi-Peptide Hair Serum for Hair Growth
- The INKEY List Peptide Volumizing Hair Treatment
- Pilgrim Redensyl & Anagain Advanced Hair Growth Serum
Peptides are great for all hair types and are very beneficial when incorporated into your hair care routine. It can be used in the form of leave-on hair serum, conditioner, or hair mask. Peptides are great for lashes as well as eyebrows too.
Enjoy happy and healthy hair all day, every day!