Self-esteem and self-confidence are everything when it comes to living a healthy and long life. One can never have something called too much self-esteem. The more you have it the better. Especially in a relationship, we tend to lose ourselves, though we don’t get it in the beginning, later this can affect the relationship. This article, “Surprising Ways To Improve Self Esteem In Relationships” will answer questions related to how one can improve self-esteem (especially women) when it comes to being with a partner.
Amazing Ways To Improve Self Esteem In Relationships!
- 1 Amazing Ways To Improve Self Esteem In Relationships!
- 2 How to Improve Self-Esteem in Relationships?
- 2.1 Stop trying to look perfect and expecting others to be perfect- humans are not perfect and we tend to make mistakes
- 2.2 Shut down your inner critic
- 2.3 Appreciate your partner more
- 2.4 Being a bit self-centered is good
- 2.5 Explore and travel together
- 2.6 Learning new stuff together
- 2.7 Flirt away like you are young and in love
- 2.8 Be there for each other mentally
- 3 Why Do I Lose Confidence In A Relationship?
- 4 How To Identify A Person With Low Self-Esteem?
As the wordings go “self-love is the best love”, having good self-esteem can help your relation blossom in ways you never thought possible. Boosting your self-esteem can work magic on your relationships. There is nothing that can hold back a person who has self-esteem and self-love once we start loving our life more we make better decisions, respect ourself as well as others.
If both the partners have self-esteem that complements one another there is nothing that’s going to stop them from taking their relationship to it’s the best potential. So guys if you haven’t thought much about improving it’s high time you do, self-esteem I some really powerful stuff that can either make or break yours.
Nobody is too old or too young to start nurturing and learning to build self-esteem(1). It not an overnight process but understanding how and when once can easily change themselves. Let dive right into it.
How to Improve Self-Esteem in Relationships?
If you look into various self-esteem classes, “how to improve your self-esteem in a relationship?”(2), is one of the key burning questions. But attending a crash course is not enough to learn or practice putting self-esteem first in day to day life.
To start off with…
Stop trying to look perfect and expecting others to be perfect- humans are not perfect and we tend to make mistakes
In most of the cases, right from the day, a child is born, he or she is raised in a culture of perception, perfection and a preset standard. If the kid does not meet the requirements- be it at school or at home, he/ she is regarded as not good enough. This is the typical process we have all been through while growing up.
For someone who has been raised in such a family, to be thought to be always right and better than others would be important. Also for individuals with low-self esteem assume that love is to maintain an impression. If you are in a relationship with someone who is special for you, then it’s a good opportunity for personal growth. But at the same time if one has self-esteem then it can affect the other person too, thereby disrupting the whole relationship. Following some guidelines, you can easily motivate one another and build a healthy as well as long relationship.
Shut down your inner critic
Learning how to voice as well as handle your inner critic is the key to bring back your self-esteem(3). The inner voice can be constructive for many but for those many with low self-esteem, the negative inner thought can disrupt their everyday life.
Shutting down this inner voice can be impossible at once but one can gradually work towards replacing those negative thoughts with positive and more helpful thoughts that can bring change in how you view yourself as well as others.
Here is a simple way to stop your inner critic: The STOP phrase.
When you are in a situation when your inner mind started making you think of negative thoughts simply say STOP. if the word stop doesn’t work for you you can also use words your comfortable with for example:
No buddy, we are not going there…..
No, no, no…
Or you could just come up with a phrase or word that you are comfortable with but would stop the inner voice from coming up. Once that’s done focus your thoughts on something that you would like to do something constructive. For example: going shopping, the cafe you wanted to go, call an old friend, talk to your family- anything that would keep your mind occupied.
Appreciate your partner more
No matter what the deal is, start by being appreciative and thankful for your partner’s deeds. Try to notice the little things he does for you can try using the word, “thank you” often. Make it a point to ensure that you show your appreciation, this would not only put you at ease but it will also help you both feel valued, wanted, important and most important of all happy.
Being a bit self-centered is good
Whenever your partner does something sweet for you, like waking you up with a hot mug of coffee (unless you are someone who hates being woken up- then I can understand that all you can think of is murder) rather than just saying, “thank you that’s so sweet” , also try feeling that you are special and that’s is why your partner is doing what he does for you. Know that you deserve every bit of his love and care.
Explore and travel together
Traveling far and wide can not only give your experiences that you can’t forget, but this can make you feel a lot more than just being a small-town girl. The feeling of being away from home, having your partners company, surviving – can be an incredible boost to self-esteem(4). Coming back after a long-distance vacation can give you new insight, new plans and make you realize that you are capable of so much more.
Learning new stuff together
When you learn something new – the curiosity and excitement get to you. But when you are doing some new together with your partner the shared experiences, praise, high fives with boost each of the person’s self- esteem. When you are planning to do something new though choose something that would interest you as well as your partner, for example, dance class, gym sections, crafts, art, etc.
Flirt away like you are young and in love
As we grow up we lose ourselves in our busy lives, we forget to express our love for our loved ones. Life is all about being loved and expressing love. Flirt like kids, praise your partner in private as well as public and show them you are proud. Nothing can give a person confidence like showing them they are loved and appreciated.
Be there for each other mentally
The physical pain can be seen and felt but it requires a real person and true love to understand when the partner is in pain mentally. One of the common reasons for low self-esteem could be mental issues, therefore communicate whatever you are feeling trust, you may find it hard to talk but talking and getting help can certainly help in the long run.
Why Do I Lose Confidence In A Relationship?
The reasons for losing confidence is a sign of low self-esteem, the reasons could be many.
- Biological reasons: Such as lifestyle, illness, genes or some form of disability.
- Spiritual reasons: Again lifestyle, thought and beliefs, reverence, shame etc…
- Psychological reasons: Childhood and adult experiences, mental trauma, abuse, self-evaluation, lifestyle
- Social reasons: Negative friend circle, lifestyle, the pressure of competence
How To Identify A Person With Low Self-Esteem?
- Worrying too much about what people might think about you.
- Being very cautious
- Scared to move out of the comfort zone
- Avoid people fearing that you might upset them
- Constantly wants others approval in life
- Fear of being rejected
- Faking illness and creating scenarios to grab attention
- Extreme social anxiety
- Always negative thoughts run in your head
- Your symptoms are very similar to those with anxiety and depression
- You get easily addicted
- To talk to yourself and lot and criticize yourself
I hope this article, “ Surprising Ways To Improve Self Esteem In Relationships”(5), helped you understand what’s holding you down from having a full-fledged and happy relationship with your partner. I have known most people who stay in a relationship that’s critical and abusive because they have no choice. Putting up with such behavior and not doing anything about it would not improve you or your partner or your relationship in the long run. If the situation is too much for you to handle and if depressing and negative thoughts keep coming into your mind no matter what you do, try talking to a professional.
Always remember, you are worth it and don’t compromise on anything take would take you or your partner down the drain. For more help, connect with me in the comments section below.
- www.professional-counselling.com.(2019).Build your self-esteem effectively.
[online] Available at: https://www.professional-counselling.com/how-to-build-self-esteem.html
- Psychology Today. (2019).Sussex Publishers, LLC. Building Self-Esteem and Improving Relationships | psychologytoday.com. [online] Available at: https://www.psychologytoday.com/intl/blog/in-it-together/201801/building-self-esteem-and-improving-relationships
- www.wikihow.com.(n.d).How to Fix Low Self Esteem Issues in a Relationship.[online] Available at: https://www.wikihow.com/Fix-Low-Self-Esteem-Issues-in-a-Relationship
- MeetMindful. Inc.(2019). Made with love in Denver, Colorado.5 Ways to Boost Self-Esteem & Better Your Relationship | meetmindful.com.[online] Available at: https://www.meetmindful.com/5-ways-to-boost-your-self-esteem/#
- Henrik Edberg. (2006-2019).How to Improve Your Self-Esteem: 12 Powerful Tips | www.positivityblog.com
[online] Available at: https://www.positivityblog.com/improve-self-esteem/