Body acne is a very common skin problem wherein your skin becomes clogged with dead cells, dirt and oily substances. Almost 50 million people in the US have some form of acne, in which 60% accounts for body acne. There is just a wide range of skin care products that are available in the market today that promise to treat your body acne, but here we shall narrow down that list for you. The best body wash for acne is mainly composed of a few very important ingredients. Before we get into that let’s see what your body acne really is.
Best Body Wash For Acne: What Is Body Acne?
Body acne, also known as bacne, is an inflammatory skin condition characterized by the presence of pimples, blackheads, and whiteheads on areas of the body other than the face. It typically appears on the back, chest, shoulders, and buttocks, as these areas have a high concentration of oil glands.
Body acne can range from minor breakouts to severe cysts and can cause discomfort, itching, and self-consciousness(1). It is caused by factors such as
- Hormonal changes
- Excessive oil production
- Dead skin cells
- Bacteria buildup
- Lifestyle habits
So, now that you know what the problem really is, don’t you want to know how to treat it effectively? The trick does not lie in just picking the best body wash for body acne, but also in using that best body wash for acne in the right way.
How To Use Acne Body Wash?
It all starts the moment you step into the shower for a bath. Most body washes have surfactants in them to clear away oil and dirt from your skin. So the basic way to use your body wash can be listed in a few simple steps:
- Gently rinse your skin with some water, preferably warm water to clean your skin
- Take a dime of body wash inside your palm, making sure not to use too much as it can possibly dry out your skin by stripping off natural oils.
- Always use a washcloth and not your hand to apply the body wash all over your body. Avoid using a loofah or other types of puffs as it can harbor bacterial growth and increase your chances of acne.
- While applying on the regions with body acne and blemishes, try to gently use the cloth around the region, without rubbing aggressively.
- The acne body wash prescribed for your body acne is usually mild enough to be used on your face even though generally body washes are exclusive for the body only.
- Once you have cleansed your skin with the body wash, rinse it off with warm water. Make sure to get all the body wash off of your skin to avoid dryness.
- With the help of a clean towel pat your body until it is completely dry. Avoid rubbing your body dry as it can irritate the skin.
What To Look For In Body Wash For Acne
As you now know how much your bath routine plays a role in reducing your body acne, let us now see what your best body acne body wash should have in them.
Since there are different types of acne issues on the body ranging from back acne, acne scars, acne on the chest and arms and so much more, when you choose your body wash these are some of the ingredients you have to look for
- Benzoyl Peroxide: It has the ability to shed dead skin more effectively along with anti-bacterial properties
- Salicylic Acid: Contains antibacterial properties to prevent and kill acne-causing bacteria
- Retinoid: Body washes with 0.1% retinol concentration will significantly help reduce back acne.
- Adapalene: It prevents the accumulation of sebum thus preventing acne growth
- Azelaic Acid: It helps to reduce the blemishes and redness caused by the growth of acne on the skin
- Tea tree oil: To maintain the moisture and smoothness of your skin
- Sulfur: Acts as a cleansing agent to remove excess oil from your skin
10 Best Acne Body Wash For Radiant Skin
Let us now jump onto the 10 Best Acne Body Washes that will help you fight your battles in all things acne.
1. Differin Acne Clearing Body Wash
The Differin Acne Clearing body wash is an acne treatment cleanser that suits the chest, back and shoulders with an effective salicylic acid formula. It is one of the best body washes for back acne.
Price: $15.99 for 10 oz
This dermatologically tested and designed product is fit for all types of skin and removes clogs and acne scars
- 2% Salicylic Acid
- Shea Butter
- Blue Tansy Extract
- Remove surface oils
- Cleanses skin gently
- Does not over dry
2. Fixderma SALYZAP
A combination of powerful acne remover ingredients that help to exfoliate dead skin cells and clear the pores from oil, dirt and acne causing agents are the main characteristics of this wonderful body wash.
Price: $14.99 for 6.76 Fl oz
Thi is ideal for all skin types, while it helps in reducing acne breakouts and inflammation around the back, shoulder, chest, face, and other body parts.
- Salicylic Acid
- Azelaic Acid
- Tea Tree Oil
- Grape Fruit Extract
- Exfoliate dead skin cells
- Clear pores from oil
- Soap-Free formulation
- No over drying of skin
- Minimum fragrance
3. MadeCera Acne Clearing Body Wash Re-born
This careful formulation enriched with Salicylic acid and tea tree oil helps in maintaining a radiant skin without acne. It is one of the best body wash for back acne as reviewed by many customers.
Price: $20 for 10.1 Fl oz
It is well suited for sensitive skin and has a rich fragrance from green tea and Cica extract which also helps in soothing the skin. This nourishing body wash contains plant-derived ingredients(2) which relieve body skin troubles through a thorough cleansing and mild exfoliation. It is a great natural body wash for back acne.
- Salicylic Acid (BHA)
- Tea tree oil
- Cica Extract with Green Tea
- Efficient packaging
- Soothes skin
- Removes acne scars
- Best suited for sensitive skin
- Can be used for scars
- Distint fragrance
- No Benzoyl Peroxide
4. Murad Acne Control
The Murad acne control body wash prevents all over blemishes while the Salicylic acid and Green tea extract is a great exfoliating agent that is tested and scientifically proven for treating body acne.
Price: $48 for 8.5 Oz
The Murad skin care products is a well known brand that has been trusted for more than 30 years in the beauty and wellness industry for their products. Their body wash is hence one of the best salicylic acid body wash available in the market today.
- Salicylic acid
- Benzoyl Peroxide
- Licorice root extract
- Green tea
- Date Seed powder
- Glycolic Acid
- Multi-active formula for exfoliation
- Does not contain harsh sulfates
- Antibacterial properties
5. Humane Regular Strength Acne Wash
This skin care product targets the primary cause of acne growth and combats excessive oil production while helping clear whiteheads, blackheads, pimples and below the skin cysts.
Price: $21.95 for 8 Fl oz
This formula with 5% Benzoyl Peroxide is a dermatologically tested acne wash that is not too harsh on sensitive skin and unclogs pores and redness of the skin. It is a great body wash for body acne that is simple, clean, safe and effective.
- 5% Benzoyl Peroxide
- Paraben free
- Non-Foaming solution
- SLS free
- Prevent acne causing agents
- Minimal ingredient
- Prevents excessive oil production
- Unscented formula
We are only half way through the list. You have got five more brilliant recommendations waiting for you to know the best body wash for acne… Also we have two body wash recommendations exclusively for men. Read till the end to find out!
6. Paula’s Choice Weightless Body Treatment 2% BHA
This full-body treatment is formulated to soften and smooth skin with the combined powers of 2% Salicylic Acid (BHA) and nourishing, non-fragrant plant extracts.
Price: $29 for 7 Fl oz
Paula’s Choice Skincare makes products that work. They are a scientifically tested and proven brand that provides a cognitive solution that makes them the best body wash for acne.
- 2% Salicylic acid(BHA)
- Non Fragrent plant extract
- Vitamin E
- Chamomile extract
- Green tea and yellow herb
- Gentle exfoliation
- Prevent bumpy skin
- Avoids rough patches
- Calm redness
- Soothes skin
- No fragrance
7. Honeyskin Face and Body wash With Manuka Honey (For Men And Women)
This acne body wash for men and women is a gentle exfoliating body wash that helps to moisturize the body as well as to hydrate the face. It is a pH balanced formula that is natural and works best for acne-prone skin.
Price: $25.49 for 16 Fl oz
This acne body wash is a suitable substitute to harsh soaps which has organic ingredients. It mainly helps in reducing acne scars on the body with the help of its soothing formula.
- Manuka honey
- Salicylic Acid
- Aloe Vera extract
- Soothes the skin
- Reduces acne scars
- Creates a beautiful glow
- Suitable for both men and women
- Presence of citrus oils is irritant for some
8. Proactiv Acne Body Wash
This acne body wash that is formulated with soft, collapsing Vitamin E encapsulated beads that melt under the skin which makes it a very mild and suitable body wash for sensitive and acne-prone skin.
Price: $38.45 for 16 Oz
Proactiv’s Acne Body Wash is safe and effective skincare for teens and adults and can be used on all skin types.
- Salicylic Acid
- Shea Butter
- Almond oil
- Vitamin E
- Aloe Vera Extract
- Remove blemishes from the skin
- Prevent formation of new acne
- Soothe and soften the skin
- No fragrance
Acne Body Wash For Men
Even though the skin is of a similar properties for both men and women, the type of exposure that each of these skin types receive can be different, which is why it is important to note the need for gender specific body wash for both men and women. Let us now learn more about a few acne body wash for men from a womens perspective,
9. Cardon Vital Body Wash Cleanse & Refresh
The Cardon Acne clearing men’s body wash is a clean and soothing formula that helps the skin to combat body acne and reduce excess oil. It is a cheap and effective option for acne body wash for men.
Price: $16.99 for 9.7 Fl oz
Formulated from the Korean skincare industry, Cardon skincare products provide a whole range of quality products that help fight various skin problems. It effectively prevent acne breakouts and fights body odour.
- Cica Tiger grass
- Green tea extract
- Sea Buckthorn
- Paraben and sulfate free
- Exfoliates skin from dirt
- Soothe and freshen up
- Reduce excess oil
- Contain anti-oxident properties
- Harsh for certain skin types
10. Black Wolf Charcoal Powder Body Wash (For Men)
This body wash that has been formulated specially for men has a deep cleansing formula that seeps into to the pore lining removing impurities and dirt. Added with the Salicylic acid and other active ingredients, this becomes one of the best acne body wash for men.
Price: $18 for 10 Fl oz
Its deep clean paraben free extract makes it suitable for all skin types without over drying the skin while applied. This also has a cucumber-derived formula which reduces pores and blemishes on the skin.
- Salicylic Acid
- Cucumber extracts present
- With charcoal powder
- Blue sage and Citrus scent
- Clears acne breakouts
- Cleanses oil and dirt
- Fights body odor
- Not a Benzoyl Peroxide formula
Even though you have a wide variety of body washes available out there in the market today, it is important to know which brands or ingredients will work the best for your skin type.
And if body acne or back acne is your number one skin problem that requires attention, this curated list of the best body wash for acne is what you need to decide the most suitable body wash for you. As we have learned today, the reason for your acne on the body could be many.
Therefore the treatment of your body acne needs to be properly tailored to fit your individual needs. From the best salicylic acid body wash to the best acne body wash for men, our top ten recommendations of the 10 best body wash for acne is surely meant to help you to figure out a solution to all of your bumpy skin problems.
Yes, the right body wash with the right ingredients is surely a catalyst to reduce acne on both your face and body. Salicylic acid and Benzoyl Peroxide are two of the chief ingredients that are used in body washes that are used to fight acne.
Generally a body wash is better than a body scrub for preventing acne as the scub may irritate the skin and the existing acne scars when rubbed on the body.
Yes, if you have body acne it is important to maintain the hygiene of your skin by taking baths regularly. Sometimes, it is even advised to shower twice a day.
Since body acne is not an overnight problem it also does not have an overnight solution. Only consistent change in hygiene and skincare habits can make changes to your body acne conditions.