A damaged skin barrier is not a sunny place to be in, so before you lather on your next skincare product, take a break, and keep reading so you don’t end up ruining your skin forever. If you are here with an already compromised/ damaged skin barrier then we have some very simple solutions which you can follow to help rebuild your damaged skin barrier.
Achieving the flawless skin we see every day on your FYP handle is very tempting, leading you to buy everything influencers recommend to get that level of skin perfection. An endless number of skincare routines with actives and treatments might not be something your skin is asking for. To avoid damaged skin barrier the best thing you can do is understand your skin and always play it safe. A damaged skin barrier is mostly not foreseen until things become obvious because it’s a silent process, this article will help you understand everything you need to know about skin barrier and how you can achieve good skin and also maintain a healthy skin barrier.
Damaged Skin Barrier: What Is A Skin Barrier?
Our skin is made up of different layers and skin barrier is the term used to identify the outermost layer of the skin. The skin barrier is also called a moisture barrier. The skin barrier is like an invisible shield that protects the skin from external factors as well as internal factors.
Externally the skin barrier protects the skin from environmental pollution, chemicals, toxicity and other facts that can threaten the skin, Internally the skin barrier protects the skin from water loss (maintains hydration levels) and maintain homeostasis (keeping the body’s internal stability by adjusting it to the changes in the external environment). So yes, a damaged skin barrier is a serious issue that you might have thought.
What Causes Damaged Skin Barrier?
There are several reasons why you might be dealing with a damaged skin barrier since our skin is being compromised every day. Some significant reasons include
- Skincare products with harsh chemicals like preservatives and strong fragrances
- Over sun exposure
- Environmental pollution
- Skin allergy
- Overusing physical exfoliators
- Washing your face too many times
- Trying new skincare without doing patch tests
- Frequently using chemical exfoliators
- Using too many actives in skincare at once.
- Mixing skincare acids that don’t go with each other
How Do You Know If The Skin Barrier Is Damaged?
Identifying a damaged skin barrier in its early stages might be difficult but here are some signs to look out for:
- Irritated skin
- Flared-up and bumpy-looking skin
- Dull looking skin
- Skin that’s stretchy and dehydrated
- Frequent skin infections
- Burning sensation while using skincare products
- Non-healing Scarring
Is Skin Barrier Damage Permanent?
No, in most cases a compromised or damaged skin barrier can be restored by following a good skincare routine and making some lifestyle changes. That being said there are cases where the skin barrier can be permanently damaged due to underlying health conditions which is rare.
How To Restore Damaged Skin Barrier?
An overwhelmed skin is the key reason for a damaged skin barrier, here are some simple things you can do to repair and restore a damaged skin barrier.
You need to stop putting your skin under pressure. Stop using actives in your routine for a while and also experiments with using new skincare. Stick to basics. Use skin-calming products like aloe vera and rose water.
A damaged skin barrier cannot be repaired overnight. It takes time effort and patience. Giving your skin the time to heal is very important to achieve healthy skin.
Follow a simple skincare routine
If your skin barrier is severely damaged then we recommend consulting a dermatologist to prescribe products that can heal your skin. If your skin barrier is just starting to get compromised then. Sticking to basic fragrance-free products specifically designed for sensitive skin and to calm redness and irritation must work.
When your skin has a compromised skin barrier cleanser plays a key role in your skincare routine. Avoid cleansers with soap, fragrance, and actives instead try using products that have skin-calming ingredients like ceramides, emollients, and humectants. The main purpose of a cleanser is to get rid of dirt, excess oil, and dead skin cells and remove makeup(1). Hence figuring out your skin type and identifying the type of cleanser that’s going to work for you is very important.
The moisturizer plays a key role in repairing and restoring the skin’s natural barrier. Choosing a moisturizer filled with peptides, ceramides, and other calming agents can help the skin heal better(2). Apart from the above-mentioned ingredients choosing products with hyaluronic acids and glycerin can also help restore the skin’s natural health.
Use anti-inflammatory products
Anti-inflammatory products are designed to cool and calm down the skin. If your skin has a slight burning sensation and feels dry and stretchy then it could be a sign that you are over-exfoliating your skin.
Tips To Protect Skin From Damaged Skin Barrier
Incorporating the below-mentioned ingredients in your skincare can help your skin stay healthy
- Use products that are fragrance-free, free from harsh chemicals, and designed for damaged or sensitive skin.
- Incorporate Ceramides, gentle oils, emollients, probiotics, etc into your skincare routine. You can also simply buy products with these ingredients in them.
- Glycerin and hyaluronic acid are both great skincare ingredients for moisturizing and calming the skin. The help in retaining moisturizer keeps the skin soft and hydrated.
- Avoid as much sun exposure as possible. Using a good SPF with protection from UVA, UVB and blue light is mandatory. It is also important to keep in mind that wearing sunscreen doesn’t you receive complete protection, covering your face and using protective clothing can give you extra protection.
- Get enough sleep. Our skin repairs itself, while we sleep hence following a good sleep routine, will help you recover your damaged skin faster
- Avoid smoking and alcohol as much as possible
- Following a healthy diet
Best Products For Damaged Skin Barrier In 2023
- d’you In My Defence Barrier-Building Moisturiser With 20x More Ceramides
- Barrier+ Triple Lipid-Peptide Face Cream
- Dr. Jart+ Ceramidin Skin Barrier Moisturizing Cream
- Paula’s Choice Resist Barrier Repair Moisturizer with Retinol
- Peter Thomas Roth Water Drench Hyaluronic Cloud-Rich Barrier Moisturizer
- Minimalist 6% Oat Extract Gentle Cleanser With Hyaluronic Acid For Sensitive Skin
- Ultra Facial Advanced Repair Barrier Cream
- Murad Daily Defense Colloidal Oatmeal Cream
- Glow Recipe Avocado Ceramide Moisture Barrier Cleanser
- Minimalist SPF 60 PA ++++ Sunscreen With Antioxidant Silymarin, Sensitive Skin, Acne & Pregnancy Safe
The skin barrier is our body’s internal as well as external defender, hence taking care of it is very important. Under intentionally we end up damaging the most important shied of our skin to achieve perfect skin. Skin care is not fun and games, hence before you go behind the newly launched product raved on by any influencer stick to your skincare basics.
If you wish to try new things on your skin then it’s important to do a patch test every single time. If your skin barrier is already compromised then go back to the basics and give priority to healing calming and hydrating skincare products rather than exfoliating skincare. Hope you found this informative. Follow us for more!
The best skin is healthy skin!
FAQ On Damaged Skin Barrier
Redness, burning sensation, inflammation, frequent skin infections, purging, discoloration, and hyperpigmentation are all signs that your skin barrier might have been compromised.
The skin barrier can be reversed by following a minimalist chemical-free skincare routine, diet, sleep, and sun protection.
Damaged skin can take about one week to even a few months to completely heal. The actual time depends on how severe the damage is and your skin type.
When your skin starts healing, the pigmentation reduces, inflammation goes down, and the skin appears to look plump, glowy, and hydrated.