Use Rice Water For Hair Growth And See How It Works!
The growing trend of the rice water challenge on social media has women buzzed about this ancient hair care routine. Mainly because it turns out that rice water has all the benefits of modern-day hair treatments. Have a look at the rich history and potential of rice water!
I was yesterday years old when I learned about the effectiveness of using rice water for hair growth.No wonder why #ricewaterchallenge is rising on the internet, particularly on TikTok.
Though it has been used for centuries by Asian women, rice water recently came to fame in the West after Kim Kardashian’s secret for such luscious and long hair was out —rice water! To know more about what happens when you start spraying rice water to your hair, keep reading!
Rice Water: Your New Haircare DIY Concoction!
Dating back to the Heian Period in Japan when court ladies used rice water(1) while washing hair, rice water has been a constant beauty remedy among Asian women.
Known as Yu-Su-Ru, rice water is now globally utilized by many women of all ages. Who knew such an easily accessible and cost-effective remedy that’s in your cabinet pretty much every day could give lustrous effects to your dull hair!
What Are The Benefits Of Using Rice Water For Hair?
Washing hair with rice water has several benefits. Although none of them are scientifically tested or proven, women who have been using it for years promise its effectiveness. When you make rice water, it becomes loaded with vitamins, trace minerals (vitamins B and C, zinc, magnesium, etc), and amino acids.
Due to its nutritional value(2) and richness of antioxidants, rice water is believed to treat hair strands and the scalp with nourishment and strength to create a healthy environment. Its key ingredient inositol also helps repair and arm your hair. From changing the texture of hair to giving a more pronounced flow of locks, the benefits of using rice water for hair are many. The following are a few of the many:
- Boosts scalp health: Because rice water is loaded with vitamins(3), amino acids, and minerals, it can infuse scalp skin with them. This in turn improves your scalp health. Ultimately, it helps in the healthy growth of hair.
- Increases shine: Rice water may improve the appearance of hair because after applying it, you add hydration to your hair strands. This also means increased shine as well as smoothness. When hair becomes soft, it will be easy to detangle as well.
- Strengthens hair strands: Rice water contains high levels of starch, which coats the hair shaft like protein and adds strength. This is how rice water helps in strengthening and thickening hair strands.
- Helps in hair growth: Although you won’t get lightening-quick hair growth, rice water does after all create a healthy environment for hair growth. The improved condition as well as the stimulation of the scalp also promotes hair growth. But using rice water for hair growth alone may not be effective. Also, spraying rice water for hair loss has not helped anyone. So if you are concerned about hair loss, get medical help.
- Soothes scalp irritation: According to a study in 2002, the starch of rice water improved the damaged and irritated skin of individuals. So you can use it to calm the inflammation in the scalp and maybe mix emollients to add nourishment. But be careful to not overdo it.
- Helps in managing hair: Rice water is believed to increase elasticity and strengthen and improve the condition of hair cuticles. In addition, the antioxidant containment helps nourish hair follicles and repair damaged cells. All of these help in its easy management.
How To Make Rice Water For Hair?
There are three ways to make rice water for hair to use.
What you will need:
- ½ cup of uncooked rice
- 2 cups of water
- 2 bowls
- 1 container with a lid
- Spray bottle
Instructions for soaking:
- Pour the uncooked rice into a strainer and rinse well
- Place rinsed rice in a bowl with 2 cups of water
- Allow the rice to soak for about 30 minutes or up to 24 hours at room temperature
- Strain out the rice and pour the rice water into a clean bowl
- Funnel rice water into a spray bottle
- Refrigerate until ready to use (for a week)
Instructions for boiling
- Pour uncooked rice in a strainer and rinse well
- Boil 2 cups of water
- Once boiled, pour the rice into the water and boil until the water is cloudy
- Allow the water to cool
- Strain out the water and place it in a bowl
- Funnel into a spray bottle
- Refrigerate until ready to use (for a week)
Instructions for fermentation
- Pour uncooked rice in a strainer and rinse well
- Place the rinsed rice in a bowl of water
- Allow it to soak for about 30 minutes
- After 30 minutes, strain the rice
- Pour the rice water into a glass container and store it for 24 hours at room temperature
- After 24 hours, move the container into the fridge
- Leave in the refrigerator for 3 days
- After 3 days, funnel the rice water into a spray bottle
- Add 2 cups of warm water to the spray bottle
- Shake well before spraying onto your hair
How To Use Rice Water For Hair?
Now that you know how to make rice water in three different ways, let’s see what are the different methods to use rice water for hair. You can either use it as a rinse or create your own shampoo or conditioner with it. You can also use it as a nourishing treatment for your hair. Although soaking water is the fastest method, its users suggest that fermented rice water works better than the other two methods.
To use rice water as a rinse like Japanese and Chinese women who have knee-length hair, you can use it as a post-shampoo rinse. After shampooing your hair, massage rice water well onto your hair and scalp. Allow it to sit for 5 to 10 minutes. Once you are done, rinse well and then use your regular conditioner afterward if you want. But it is not exactly necessary to use as rice water can replace a commercial conditioner.
Once you start using it, notice how your hair reacts to it. If you find your hair or scalp over-drying after using it twice a week, cut it down to once a week. Then, you can increase usage slowly. Also, add conditioner before using it to add moisture.
Another method is using rice water to create your own shampoo or conditioner. This is highly recommended to those with dry hair that cannot afford to apply rice water directly on the scalp. You can blend the rice water with your shampoo, conditioner, or even oils for further lubrication and hydration after using rice water. Anyone can try this method.
While using rice water on hair, don’t be quick to rinse it. To maximize absorption of its beneficial nutrients, allow it to sit on hair for an extended period of time. The ideal time to leave it on is 20 minutes. When you are using it after shampooing, you may not be able to leave it on for more than 10 minutes. This is why applying it as a nourishing treatment is considered as one of the methods to use rice water for hair.
After you wash, shampoo, and condition your hair, either pour the rice water through the scalp or spray it directly to the scalp. Leave it on for at least 30 minutes. While you are at it, massage your scalp well to maximize penetration. This will also help you experience its anti-inflammatory properties for the scalp. After 30 minutes, rinse your hair thoroughly. If your hair gets crunchy after rinsing, adjust the time length next time. After this nourishing treatment, be sure to follow up with a hydrating conditioner as well.
Frequently Asked Questions
[sc_fs_multi_faq headline-0=”h3″ question-0=”How long should you use rice water to see results?” answer-0=”It is important to understand that using this hack for your hair is not in any way a quick fix or an overnight treatment. You have to use it consistently to see a noticeable change.” image-0=”” headline-1=”h3″ question-1=”How often can you use rice water on your hair?” answer-1=”Using it once or twice a week on average is recommended. As it is highly concentrated in starch, do not use it more than twice a week. ” image-1=”” headline-2=”h3″ question-2=”Is it safe to use rice water for hair?” answer-2=”Rice water is generally safe to use on all hair types and textures. But those with dry scalp must limit its use. ” image-2=”” headline-3=”h3″ question-3=”Are there any side effects?” answer-3=”Generally speaking, since rice water is mild and acts gently, any chance of it reacting adversely is pretty low. But as with any new treatment, it is safer to consult a dermatologist before using it. Especially if you have any pre-existing scalp conditions. Also, look out for hair or scalp dryness ” image-3=”” headline-4=”h3″ question-4=”How should a person with a dry scalp use rice water?” answer-4=”It is highly recommended to those with dry scalp to deep condition their hair and scalp in conjunction with the use of rice water for hair. Some say it’s better to not use rice water directly on the dry scalp. This is why creating a bespoke shampoo with it is suggested.” image-4=”” count=”5″ html=”true” css_class=””]
Rice water is one of the most popular food grains anyone can make use of. It offers a potent pack of healthy and nourishing properties for the hair. With all of the benefits of rice water for the hair mentioned above, I am sure you understand how much it can benefit you. If you haven’t started using it yet, let this be the final push for you to start using rice water for hair. Considering how easy it is to make, you can prepare it today itself and start treating your hair!
Multidisciplinary Digital Publishing Institute. (2018). Rice water: A traditional ingredient with anti-aging efficiency. (Online). Available athttps://www.mdpi.com/2079-9284/5/2/26/htm
Biotech Connection. (2016). Rice water helps in Hair Growth, Research confirms. (Online). Available athttps://www.biotechconnection-sg.org/rice-water-helps-in-hair-growth-research-confirms/
World Journal of Pharmacy and Pharmaceutical Science. (n.d). A formulation of face pack and hair products of rice water for the skin and hair problem. (Online). Available athttps://www.wjpps.com/Wjpps_controller/abstract_id/12122
Write a Comment