Kylie Jenner’s neverending acrylic nails do look worth a try unless you are a functional human being. Wearing six-inch-long, sharp nails throughout the day? Sounds uncomfortable. But never mind the long nails with high maintenance, you can easily get your hands on fancy fake nails from acrylic nails to press-on nails that don’t demand high maintenance.
Plus, they are just as aesthetically pleasing as Kylie’s. More importantly, don’t you just love how sophisticated those acrylic nails make your fingers look? Yes, it is all glitter and gold until it is time for those fake nails to come off. Here, ‘how to remove fake nails at home without damaging real nails?’ is the dreaded question because going back and forth to the salon for wearing and removing the fake nails doesn’t sound fun and is not an option of convenience all the time.
How To Remove Fake Nails At Home?
The longevity of nail extensions is always up for debate. What is durability? How long do you keep the fake nails? When do you take them off? What if you want to take them off too soon? Well, before the fuss begins about when those pretty nails need to come off, you need to worry about how to take them off.
All things considered, to remove them, you need to make plans for further salon appointments to have assistance from experts. Or so you thought. While some experts recommend seeing licensed nail experts, you can remove fake nails at home by yourself without damaging your real nails.
With some time and patience, you can ace this fake nail removal process without the help of a professional. It isn’t as impossible as it was originally thought! Keep an hour of your day for this and put some music before making yourself a spa at home. Yes, a spa station with a clean and ventilated work area just like how a manicure would do. If you are using acetone, make sure to sit by a window or you can switch on the fan to avoid the strong scent.
As you will be using acetone (if you are) and clipping off your fake nails, cover the surface you are using. You can fold a towel in half and place a paper towel on top of it. There are ten different tried-and-true methods (both with acetone and without acetone) you can try yourself to remove acrylic fake nails at home and you won’t need much for those methods either(1). It is extremely important that you follow the additional follow-up steps after removing the enhancements to keep your real nails healthy.
Apply Nail Guards
This is an important step you need to consider prior to adding any fake nails. These are the super-thin nail-shaped films that are applied to your real nails before putting any acrylic, gel, or gel polish manicure. If you do this step before adding fake nails, it will be much easier for you to remove them. Because nail guards create a barrier between the artificial nail and natural nail. So any fake nail can be applied on top of the guard.
How to remove fake nails with nail guards under?
- While removing, apply a generous amount of cuticle oil to the base of each nail.
- Then, use a manicure stick to gently lift the fake nail by slipping the stick under the nail guard from side to side until it is loosened.
- You may need to apply additional cuticle oil with the stick to completely remove the fake nails.
- After the nail guard is loosened, you will be able to lift the fake nails as well.
Clip And file
The first step in the fake nail removal process is clipping the extension. You won’t be able to fill your acrylic nails at home by yourself, so cut them down using a sharp nail clipper without snipping your real nails. Cut down the extensions as much as possible and maybe leave about two centimeters of nails above your nail bed. This is the fastest way to get down to your real nail length.
After you are done cutting, file off the shine and the bulk of the acrylic. If you have regular nail polish, remove them with a nail polish remover. The more you file off your acrylic, the less time you have to soak in acetone. So, file away without using too much pressure to cause damage to your real nails.
How To Remove Fake Nails With Acetone?
Acetone is the life savior when it comes to removing fake nails at home and at the salon. It is a strong chemical liquid that will dissolve the acrylic nails and will help you remove them effortlessly. Although it is a strong ingredient and shouldn’t come in contact with your skin very often, it is relatively safe to use to remove extensions but nevertheless, it is essential to take safety measures.
- Pour acetone into a bowl and dip your fingers in it.
- Wait for 20 to 30 minutes.
While your fingers are dipped in acetone, use your thumb to rub the other four fingers — it will break down the nails faster. This is the easiest method you will find but your skin will be dry.
Baby Oil and Acetone
Although it is a much gentler way, not everyone uses this method. But it is an effortless method.
How To Remove Fake Nails With Baby Oil and Acetone?
- Warm a bowl of acetone using warm water.
- Mix a small amount of a mineral-based product such as baby oil to the warmed acetone.
- Soak your nails for 45 minutes to remove them without prying.
Acetone and Warm water
How To Remove Fake Nails With Acetone and Warm water?
- After clipping your acrylic nails as short as possible, push your cuticles with the cuticle stick or orange stick.
- After filling up a bowl with acetone, gently keep the bowl inside another larger bowl with warm water in it. Warm acetone works faster.
- To protect your skin around cuticles from drying effects, you can apply petroleum jelly on the skin before dipping your nails in the bowl(2).
- Dip the entire length of your fake nails in the acetone and wait for 30-40 minutes.
- After the time is up, check if the fake nails are soft enough to be able to pull them out gently using tweezers.
- Do not yank the nails if they don’t come off. Soak them in acetone for some more time and try again.
Caution: Do not microwave acetone as it is highly flammable.
Acetone and Aluminum Foil
How To Remove Fake Nails With Acetone and Aluminum Foil?
- After clipping and filing your nails, apply petroleum jelly on the skin surrounding the cuticles.
- Soak a few cotton pads in acetone and place them on your nails.
- Tear pieces of aluminum foil and warp them over the cotton pads so that it stays in place. Give them a squeeze and make sure that a bit of acetone is dripping out of your foil to know that you have enough on the cotton.
- Rest for 25 to 30 minutes.
- After you are done waiting, pull the aluminum foil gently. The acrylic nails should come off with them, however, if not, keep them wrapped for some more time and wait until they do come off. Do not pry!
Acetone and Plastic Bags
Entirely not environment friendly, this is another easy method to remove fake nails without much trouble or effort.
How To Remove Fake Nails With Acetone and Plastic Bags?
- Take a large ziplock bag and fill it with acetone enough for you to dip your nails fully in it.
- Tilt the bag to one side to let the acetone come in one corner.
- Dip your hand inside the bag and let your nails soak in the acetone for 15 to 20 minutes.
- After the waiting, try to pull the nails gently with a cuticle stick or orange stick.
- If they don’t come off, soak them for another 5 minutes.
How To Remove Fake Nails Without Acetone?
For sensitive skin, it is highly recommended to use methods without using harsh products like acetone. These methods below will help you with that.
Acetone-free Nail Polish Remover
How To Remove Fake Nails Acetone-free Nail Polish Remover?
- After clipping and filing, lift the edges using an orange stick or tweezers.
- Pour acetone-free nail polish remover in a bowl.
- Soak your nails for 30 to 40 minutes.
- Once the nails are loosened, pull them out gently with tweezers.
- As normal acetone-free nail polish removers evaporate after some time, keep adding more from time to time(3).
If you have time to spare, use this method to avoid chemicals.
How To Remove Fake Nails With Nail Filers?
- After clipping the extensions to the shortest length possible, start filing them.
- File them with long strokes until you reach the nail bed. Make sure that you stop before filing off your real nail bed.
- If there is any of it remaining on your nails, pry open the edges with a cuticle scissor and clip them off (little by little).
- Once the acrylic nails are off, take orange sticks to scrape off the acrylic glue.
- Wash your hands with soap and water.
- Do not forget to use a generous amount of cuticle oil as this procedure is pretty harsh on your nails.
Another easy, gentle, and safe method.
How To Remove Fake Nails With Hot Water?
- Pry the edges of fake nails with orange sticks or cuticle sticks.
- Pour hot water into a bowl making sure that it is warm and not boiling hot.
- To dissolve the glue, you need to soak your nails in warm water for at least 30 to 40 minutes.
- Keep dipping at an angle through which the warm water can seep through the already made inlet.
- Maintain a constant warm temperature. Keep pouring more warm water because you shouldn’t let the water get cold.
Laminated Business Card
How To Remove Fake Nails With A Laminated Business Card?
- Grab the orange stick to lift the edges of the acrylic nails and make a small inlet.
- While applying gentle pressure in an upward motion, slide the laminated business or debit card into the inlet.
- To avoid cracking a layer of your real nail bed, do this one side at a time.
Yes, dental floss can help in removing acrylic nails besides oral hygiene. This piece of string can cause damage to your real nails, so unless your acrylic nails have already begun to come loose, you cannot use this method. You need a partner to do this removal method(4).
How to Remove Fake Nails With Dental Floss?
- Grab the cuticle stick and gently lift the edges of your acrylic nails. If your nails have already begun to come loose, this step will be easier for you.
- Make the other person insert the string of dental floss under your acrylic nail. Then, move the dental floss down the nail in a sawing motion until the acrylic nail comes off. Do the process for all fingers.
Caution: It could cause discomfort and may be painful, so be prepared.
Tips For Nail Removal
These are the tips and precautions you need to follow while removing fake nails at home.
- You should not pull out your nails forcefully, even when it gets extremely hard to remove. If in case you do it, you might pull out your real nail bed causing unbearable pain or worse, an infection.
- You have to be patient as this process usually takes a long time. Be seated somewhere comfortable because you are going to sit there for long!
- If you are using acetone, cover your table or the surface you are using to do the process as acetone may stain or damage the surface.
- While using the acetone method, make sure that there is no fire around you. Because it is highly flammable.
- As acetone is a chemical compound, the side effects of using it are wrinkling of the skin and dehydration. But, in any case, if you feel a burning sensation or severe redness, seek professional help immediately.
- After removing the fake nails, make sure to scrape off the debris of acrylic nails from your nail beds.
- This entire process will leave your nails dry and unhealthy. So, use cuticle oil to restore your real nail bed and apply gentle moisturizer after the process.
- As acrylics can weaken your real nails, keep them hydrated with moisturizer or cuticle oil. Also, apply a nail strengthener every day for two weeks or so.
- Trim the tips of your real nails with a nail clipper.
- Apply a few layers of nourishing base coat to strengthen your nails.
- Allow your real nails to grow in their natural shape before you get creative with the shape of your nails to prevent cracking.
- To protect your nails against acrylic nail damage next time, after removing them, wait for a week (the least) before wearing the next pair.
Follow these tips to keep your nails in optimal health while enjoying shiny acrylic nails without worrying about the damage. Now you can wear false nails without fretting over having to go to the salon for removing them. Glam up your fingers with acrylics!